Saturday, January 1, 2011

DotNetFish - A Change of Course

Last night I was looking at some data. My goal is to provide a map that is very close to the actual size of the lake. I came to a very cold and clear realization, that the map tiler as a stand alone piece of software will never work in that regard. This holds very true when you look at larger lakes in the US such as Sam Rayburn in Texas. Don't even ask about how big lake superior is(huge!). I always thought that it would be nice to allow the user to be able to import a map they draw into the program, but I don't think this is feasible. Besides, if I want this game to be as realistic as possible, then I want to be able to fish on real lakes. So, with that being said, I'm going to remove the MapTiler project completely, and integrate it into the Level Designer, where is should have been all along. I hope, and this is a big hope, that the Gmap controls for WPF are just as easy to use. The work I posted yesterday won't be lost though. I will reuse nearly all of it. The only different is that I will remove the black to white step, and no longer be saving an image. So I am removing a step here, which is always good. It has been said that it is hard to design a simple solution. I can definitely agree with that. Hopefully, the solution I have now is 1 step simpler than the last one. *Update* If you check out github, MapTiler is now gone, and all of the code has been integrated into Level Designer. It compiles, but that's about it. By the end of the day tomorrow, I should have level designer sorted out, and have it actually outputting some useful data.

No comments:

Post a Comment