Friday, May 20, 2011

DotNetFish - Sweeping Changes

Got a healthy dose of optimization finished in the map builder. It now approaches each tile from a much lower zoom level, and only goes to a higher zoom level when the map tile has a water/land edge. I'm still not 100% sure that this is the best approach to take., and it may be faster and simpler to process the tiles at a higher zoom level. This is only possible now due to the other changes I made to the build process. For a body of water that has a lot of water and long compared to edges should see a pretty significant improvement, although it will be slower when testing using only edge tiles.

Tiles are now processed much simpler than they were before. Its always difficult to make something simple. I realized that my design was much too complicated when it didn't need to be, so I simplified it significantly. I am now getting much better results, and far fewer error tiles.


I am almost ready to move away from the map generation process, and start focusing on some additions to the editor to allow you to fix error tiles, add spawn locations, etc. I have a few bugs to look at in the build process, and then I plan to focus on the editor.

No comments:

Post a Comment